Sunday, April 22, 2012

The new green is no green

I have been an environmental activist since I was nine years old.  I remember writing articles for the elementary school newspaper and letters to my senators and congresspeople about my passion for saving the world-- inquiring about their future plans. Looking back I am surprised that I knew who my senators were.  I desperately wanted change everyone around me to save water, save the air, save the dolphins. As I grew older I grew disillusioned with these tactics, then I heard a story.  The gist was a man tried to change the world in every way he could think of and eventually on his death bed he realized he should have started with himself and his actions were really the only thing he could control.  As I look at how the "fad" of green as the new black is taking over the media and the Lorax is approving SUVs and diapers-- there is no better time to closely look how I can more harmoniously live with the world around me. Here are some steps I have found helpful:
  • the new green is no green: pick one day a week to not spend any money
  • support local: at leasr once a week, consciously choose to spend money at local establishment 
  • compost!
  • be creative: reuse, reduce, recycle or give away
  • plant seeds: grow your own food! up until the 1950's Americans grew 25% of everything they ate in their own backyards
What does being green mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment